After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand report terminology, report types, barriers to
effective written communications, and contemporary report writing
- Prepare report writing Terms of Reference.
- Gather and collate ideas and data from secondary and primary
sources using a range of techniques.
- Write at an appropriate level of language and tone that
connects with your reader.
- Write using straightforward language, and apply good writing
criteria to ensure a purpose-focused, structured, sign- posted, and
- Design appropriate graphics and tabular displays.
- Draw appropriate report conclusions and develop SMART
- Prepare effective executive summaries.
- Use appendices to good effect.
- Apply practical editing and proofreading techniques to ensure
that reports are fit-for-purpose.
- Recognize common capitalization, grammatical, punctuation,
syntax and spelling errors.
- Seek post-publication feedback for continuous improvement.
This introductory level course is particularly suitable for
anyone new to report writing or for those who wish to refresh their
report writing skills.